Introduction

Share our trials and tribulations as we build our new home - a custom Dominico by Fairmont Homes NSW

Friday, January 13, 2012

Unit Sold and The Decision-Race to Construction is on!

Mick accepted an offer on his unit last week and cooling-off completed this afternoon. Yippee! So, the countdown for Settlement and Council Approval are almost in sync, with plans being submitted to Council on Monday.

Now the race to the finish line (which in reality is the starting block) is on, as decisions need to be finalised by the time Council Approval is in so Fairmont can do the ordering for our job. From then, changes will cost money so I am making sure that Mick and I comb through the plans carefully and make considered colour selections. The morning and afternoon train rides, lunch hours and weekends spent looking at colour swatches, emailing suppliers, coordinating showroom visits and googling like an addict will hopefully pay off as we attend our tiling and kitchen appointments 21 January (so exciting!).

This weekend I hope to also finalise our flooring. We’re having this done ourselves as it is cheaper and we can get what we want (our carpet is only available from Harvey Norman) and Fairmont are more than happy for us to do this. I want to have the flooring selected and samples at the ready when we go to our tiling and kitchen appointments.

I’m also happy to report that whilst Wattyl Paint is no longer available through Bunnings, they are available through Masters and our local store at Gregory Hills has a huge colour chart and is able to mix us up sample pots and colour match to Dulux if we need. Yippee! I am narrowing in on colours but won’t make those final selections until flooring, kitchen and tiles are finalised and sample pots purchased, brushed-out and analysed.

On an electronic-front, Mick and I have decided to install a video intercom/doorbell with three screens in the house. It not only makes answering and opening the door easier but also safer as we can see who is on the other side of the door before deciding to open it. It’s also great for re-sale and means Mick and I can call each other if we’re in different parts of the house! Yay for toys!

Here is the model our builder has quoted us for:

Do we get the black or white..?

On the light-front, I can’t find what I want for the Kitchen pendants and whilst our earlier choices are great, we’re not so sure on them given we have a lot going on in that space already - raked ceilings, sky-lights, wall at the end of the kitchen island, unusual range-hood etc. I know exactly what I want, but I can’t seem to find lights like the following for sale anywhere:



I did manage to find a couple of Australian light companies that import commercial-looking lights from overseas and some of their brochures are promising. I like the following:








And so the search continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment