So, today marked the sad realisation that we won’t be in by Christmas.
I’m beginning to doubt that Council will ever approve our plans, and so understandably we’ve nearly run out of passion for the build. But, backed by the logical conclusion that one day we will have our house, we have made some changes to the bathroom selections purely to save some money. It’s always a difficult balancing act between what you need, what you want, what you can afford, what is good for re-sale, what will last etc.
We’ve made the big decision to get rid of the spa bath and simply have the bath version of the same tub. It’s still built for two with the waste in the middle and sloped sides, but it’s significantly cheaper. When we really thought about it, it’s unlikely we would use the spa much, it doesn’t really add to re-sale and they aren’t ideal for small kidlets which we, or future owners, may one day have. We’ve also gone with standard sink mixers and towel rails, removed some robe hooks and picked a more simple/cheap vanity in the Main Bathroom. These are all things we can upgrade later if we want. We’re leaving most of the upgrades in the Ensuite however.
A few more cost-saving choices we’ve made are to install our own flooring, data-cabling, extra joinery i.e. Laundry, wardrobes, garage etc. We’re also planning on doing a lot of the landscaping ourselves and we’ve gone with the sheen finish for the kitchen. It’s still an upgrade, but it’s considerably less than the gloss.
*sigh* So, shall we start taking bets on if/when we get approval..? It’s all apparently approved in principal and should have been rubber-stamped as soon as Council had the new survey and plans….that was several weeks ago...